Nancy Plowman Sandreuter, President of Nancy Plowman Associates, Inc., Burlington Massachusetts, (NPA).
Incorporated in 1986, NPA is a graphic arts testing and consulting service specializing in handling print production related problem, including analysis of all components of the offset printing process. Examples of these include inks, papers, aqueous and UV coatings, adhesives, fountain solutions, blankets and chemical additives to the printing system.
NPA has developed and sold its own line of print testing equipment. We have worked with and assist major paper companies in setting up new in-house testing facilities and procedures to test ink and paper in a production environment
I graduated from the University of Maine with a Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics, and a minor in Chemistry. My first employment was with the S. D. Warren Paper Company, a Printing Paper Subsidiary of Scott Paper Company, based in Philadelphia, PA, USA. I began working for Warren in 1969. I entered the University of Maine in 1971 and continued working at Warren on full time status and graduated from U of M in April 1976. During my career at Warren, I spent a total of 17 years in their Research & Development facility, with 9 years devoted to paper coating technology and chemistry. This training enables me to identify materials found in an analysis that are paper related and to establish any cause and affect relationships between materials in the paper and a particular problem in a printing job.
In 1978 I moved from the Fundamental Coating group to the Graphic Arts Research group where we ran print analyses on inks, paper and other materials submitted to the company for claims in a complaint from a customer. The work in this group included tests in the laboratory as well as on press. Other responsibilities included in assisting Marketing and Manufacturing in attempts to being new paper products to the market. In the capacity of Assistant Manager of the department, my responsibilities included running tests and coordinating chemical analyses being run in our Analytical department, which included Infra Red Spectroscopy, Gas Chromatography, Scanning Electron Photomicroscopy, and X-ray analysis on specimens taken from press, or on samples submitted after the fact, from printing runs.
I resigned from S.D. Warren and moved to Boston in 1985. In January of 1985, I joined Acme Printing Company, a commercial web and sheet fed offset printer, currently located in Wilmington, MA. I worked for Acme until November 1985 when I left to organize NPA. While at Acme, I sold printing, and was involved in jobs from pre-press to shipping. I also assisted in quality changes in the pressroom, such as recommending ink and fountain solution chemistry changes to improve all aspects of print quality.
Professional Publications and Associations:
|Contributing Editor – Converting Magazine|
Bi-Monthly column since July, 1997, “Print Forum”
|Converting Magazine||Pretest materials to stop problems before they start||Jul. 1997|
|Converting Magazine||Will reducing the tack of my inks correct surface-picking problems on press?||Aug. 1997|
|Converting Magazine||Water Pick-Up of Offset Inks…How is it Measured?||Dec. 1997|
|Converting Magazine||Taking the Scientific Approach to Printing||Jan. 1998|
|Converting Magazine||Do all Inks set and Dry in the same Way?||Feb. 1998|
|Converting Magazine||Do Conventional Offset Inks Differ in Their Setting And Drying Characteristics?||Apr. 1998|
|Converting Magazine||How Do Conventional Heat Set Web Offset Inks Set and Dry?||Jun. 1998|
|Converting Magazine||Communication – Time and Money||Jul. 1998|
|Converting Magazine||Laminating Problems Part 1 – Adhesion||Oct. 1998|
|Converting Magazine||Laminating Problems Part 2 – Color Changes||Dec. 1998|
|Converting Magazine||What are My Choices for Offset Blankets||Jan. 1999|
|Contributing Editor – Graphic Arts Monthly Magazine|
Bi-Monthly column since 1988 on the “Printing System”/”Print Clinic”
|Graphic Arts Monthly||Understanding The Printing System||Sep. 1988||p 76|
|Graphic Arts Monthly||How Offset Blankets Affect Print Quality||Oct. 1988||p 156|
|Graphic Arts Monthly||A Quality Control Checklist||Dec. 1989||p 105|
|Graphic Arts Monthly||Ink Tack – Part I: How Is It Measured?||Feb. 1989||p 110|
|Graphic Arts Monthly||Ink Tack – Part II: Wet Film Thickness||Apr. 1989||p 126|
|Graphic Arts Monthly||Ink Tack – Part III: Surface Measurement||Jun. 1989||p 114|
|Graphic Arts Monthly||Ink Tack – Part IV: Blanket Release Forces||Aug. 1989||p 133|
|Graphic Arts Monthly||The Color Story||Oct. 1989||p 196|
|Graphic Arts Monthly||Wet Ink Trapping||Dec. 1989||p 102|
|Graphic Arts Monthly||Facts About Fountain Solution||Feb. 1990||p 120|
|Graphic Arts Monthly||Proper Complaint Documentation||May 1990||p 156|
|Graphic Arts Monthly||Facts About Quick Release Blankets||Jul. 1990||p 124|
|Graphic Arts Monthly||The Best Press for Print Testing||Sep. 1990||p 197|
|Graphic Arts Monthly||Ink And Water: A Balancing Act||Nov. 1990||p 127|
|Graphic Arts Monthly||Backtrap Mottle||Jan. 1991||p 125|
|Graphic Arts Monthly||Water Sensitivity Mottle||Mar. 1991||p 124|
|Graphic Arts Monthly||Ink Gloss Mottle||May 1991||p 122|
|Graphic Arts Monthly||Statistical Process Control||Aug. 1991||p 168|
|Graphic Arts Monthly||Picking, Pick Outs, and Piling|
|Graphic Arts Monthly||What Is Paper Coating?|
|Graphic Arts Monthly||Why Coated Paper?|
|Graphic Arts Monthly||Gloss Calandered Papers||Mar. 1992||p 115|
|Graphic Arts Monthly||What Creates A Ghost||May 1992||p 124|
|Graphic Arts Monthly||Exorcising The Varnish Ghost||Jul. 1992||p 102|
|Graphic Arts Monthly||Ink Setting Vs. Ink Drying||Sep. 1992||p 162|
|Graphic Arts Monthly||Testing Ink Drying Characteristics||Nov. 1992|
|Graphic Arts Monthly||Ink Seting Tests, Part 1||Jan. 1993||p 89|
|Graphic Arts Monthly||Coating Adhesion Problems||Mar. 1993||p 101|
|Graphic Arts Monthly||Ink Setting Tests, Part 2: Stain Tests||Jun. 1993||p 103|
|Graphic Arts Monthly||Defining Volatility||Jul. 1993||p 96|
|Graphic Arts Monthly||The pH of Fountain Solutions||Sep. 1993||p 100|
|Graphic Arts Monthly||Are Aqueous Coatings Permeable?||Dec. 1993||p 88|
|Graphic Arts Monthly||Identifying Print Mottle||Feb. 1994||p 94|
|Graphic Arts Monthly||Ink, Water, and Paper: A Delicate Balance||Mar. 1994||p 104|
|Graphic Arts Monthly||Paper and Ink, Up Close and Personal||May 1994||p 96|
|Graphic Arts Monthly||Successfully Applying Gloss Coatings||Jul. 1994||p 105|
|Graphic Arts Monthly||A Call for Standardization||Dec. 1994||p 100|
|Converting Magazine||Materials Testing Procedures||Jul. 1997|
|Converting Magazine||INK TACK: Will reducing the tack of my inks correct surface picking problems on press?||Aug. 1997|
|Converting Magazine||What happens to printing tack in the press when ink film thickness is changed?||Oct. 1997|
|Converting Magazine||Water Pick-Up Values of Inks; How is this measured?||Dec. 1997|
|Converting Magazine||Remember to take the scientific approach||Jan. 1998|
|Converting Magazine||Do all inks set and dry in the same way? Part I||Feb. 1998|
|Converting Magazine||Do all inks set and dry in the same way? Part II||Apr. 1998|
|Converting Magazine||How do Heat Set Offset Inks Set and Dry?||Jun. 1998|
|Converting Magazine||Lack of Communication costs time, money and materials.||Jul. 1998|
|The Pressman||The Color Story||Mar. 2002|
|The Pressman||Offset Blankets||Apr. 2002|
Published Paper in the June, 1994 TAPPI Journal ” Predicting Print Mottle: A Method of Predicting Three Different Types of Print Mottle.”
President, 1994-1995 – The Boston Lithographers Club
Member Printing & Imaging Committee -TAPPI (Technical Association of the Pulp & Paper Industry)
Recognized expert in the printing/paper field, speaking at the following events/organizations:
- RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology) Special Presentations and Teaching courses in the T&E Center, Rochester, N.Y.
- GATF (Graphic Arts Technical Foundation) Special presentations at Technical Conferences
- TAPPI (Technical Assoc. of the Pulp & Paper Industry):
- A Technical Paper in 1994 – 1994 Coating Conference, San Diego, CA
- A Technical Paper in 1994 – International Printing & Graphic Arts Conference, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
- Moderated a Panel on Printing Technology – 1996 Conference
- Instructor – The Printing System at TAPPI Coated Board Short Course, 1992 (Rochester, N.Y.) and 1994 (Akron, OH.).
- Instructor/Panel Member – TAPPI – Fall Coating Conference, 1991 in Columbus GA, 1993 in Columbus, OH, 1996 in Columbus, GA.
- RPTA: Recycled Paper Trade Association: Speaker and Instructor at Coating Courses and Coating Applications Committee Meetings. in Boston and Chicago.
- NAPIM: National Association of Printing Ink Manufacturers: Presented a paper at the 1994 Technical Meeting in Miami, FLA.
- TAPPI (Technical Assoc. of the Pulp & Paper Industry):
- A Technical Paper in 1996 – International Printing & Graphic Arts Conference, Minneapolis, MN
- “The Impact of Aqueous Coatings on Paper Properties.”
- TAPPI (Technical Assoc. of the Pulp & Paper Industry):
- Symposium Planner and Narrator – International Printing & Graphic Arts Conference, Minneapolis, MN
- “New Printing Technologies Symposium”
- Research & Engineering Council of the Graphic Arts Industry:
- Progress in the Pressroom Seminar, Chicago, IL.
- Speaker – Pressroom Materials Testing Procedures
- Member, TAPPI Technical Program Committee for 2000 Coating & Graphic Arts Conference, Washington, DC. May 2000.
- Member, TAPPI Technical Program Committee for 2001 Coating & Graphic Arts Conference, San Diego, CA May 2001.
- Member, TAPPI Technical Program Committee for 2002 Coating & Graphic Arts Conference, Orlando, FL. May 2002.
- Instructor for TAPPI Coated Board Short Courses, 1994, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002
- TAPPI – Selected as one of the “Excellent Instructors” for 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001,2002
- PTS, Munich, Germany – Published paper for PTS, 2001 on print mottle. September 19th, 2001. Unable to attend to present due to attack on America
- Intertech 1998 – Presented Mottle Workshop
- IPGAC – Bordeaux, France, 2002 – International Printing and Graphic Arts Conference – CoAuthor or technical paper on paper pigments and printing mottle.
- Member, TAPPI Technical Program Committee for 2003 Coating & Graphic Arts Conference, Chicago, IL. May 2003
- Member, TAPPI Technical Program Committee for 2004 Coating & Graphic Arts Conference, Baltimore, MD. May 2004
- Conference Chairman for TAPPI Print Quality Symposium in Indianapolis, ID August, 2004.
- PIRA – 2004 Ink on Paper Conference, Speaker/Presenter on Print Testing, Dublin, Ireland September 2004.
- Speaker on Print Mottle and Print Testing Procedures, IPGAC International Printing and Graphic Arts Conference, October, 2004, Vancouver, BC
- Instructor for two Virtual Web Seminars for TAPPI. October 2003 and April 2004 for “Print Mottle”.
- Conference Chair, TAPPI Coating and Graphic Arts Conference”, April 2005, Toronto, Canada
- Speaker, Recycled Paper Trade Association Technical Conference, May, 2005, Chicago, IL.
January, 1997 – Selected as the AGFA NALC Local Member of the Year for the Boston Litho Club.
June, 1997 – Selected as the NALC National Litho Club Member of the Year.
May, 2001 – Awarded Special Achievement Award from TAPPI at the 2001 Coating Conference, San Diego, CA.
May, 2002 – Awarded Special Achievement Award from TAPPI at the 2001 Coating Conference, Orlando, FL.
May, 2003 – Awarded Special Achievement Award from TAPPI at the 2002 Coating Conference, Orlando, FL.
May, 2004 – Awarded Special Achievement Award from TAPPI at the 2003 Coating Conference, Orlando, FL.
April, 2005 – Awarded Special Achievement Award from TAPPI at the 2004 Coating Conference, Orlando, FL.
April, 2005 – Conference Chair, TAPPI Coating and Graphic Arts Conference, Toronto, Quebec.
September 2005 Chair of TAPPI Print Quality Symposium, September 19-21 in Baltimore, MD.
March 20-22, 2006: Chair of TAPPI Coated Board Short Course
September 18-20, 2006: Chair of TAPPI Print Quality Symposium
I have been deposed in 5 court cases within the past year, and have testified as an expert witness in January 1995, October, 2004 and November 2004. My most recent deposition was March, 2005. I can provide specifics and references if requested. In all other cases I have been requested for as an expert, settlements were made prior to court dates. I have offered testimony to an insurance mediation panel, and have also served on 2 Boston-area mediation panels in printing disputes.